Category Archives: Shopping
Amsterdam is a popular tourist destination with many interesting places to visit and also because of its serenity and authentic lifestyle. The city has a network of canals and one would love to take a stroll around the city or take a ride on the bicycle. Some of the best places to visit in Amsterdam are:
This is the largest museum in the Netherlands and is famous for its exhibition called The Masterpieces which shows the most famous pieces of Dutch art from the 17th century. The museum displays the works of Rembrandt, Vermeer and Hals. Tourists can also see the museum treasury, beautiful doll houses from the period and the traditional Delftware.
Van Gogh Museum
The museum has some 200 paintings and 550 sketches of Van Gogh. The museum has the biggest in the world collection, combined with hundreds of letters by Van Gogh, and selected works by his friends and contemporaries.
Amsterdam canal ring
The tourists love to take a boat trip around the city old centre which is formed from canal rings. The tourists can opt for one of the tourist cruises or renting the boat yourself. You can also take a ride on a bicycle.
The National Maritime Museum
The Maritime Museum is very popular with children. The museum features a 17th Century sail ship at its quay, collection of fine paintings, old maps and remarkable ship models, and many more.
Lying at the heart of Amsterdam’s red light district, this huge old protestant church has little houses clinging to its sides. Its buildings, especially the Gothic-renaissance style octagonal bell tower, were used by sailors to get their bearings. Book a hotel near Red Light District and have a wonderful time around in this unusual area.
Amsterdam is known for many reasons and its reputation is being held among touring persons for reasons like antiques, books, diamonds, and curiosities. Like any other modern market of the world the shops in Amsterdam also remain open except for Sundays. For marketing and shopping a person can tour around following areas in the city.
- Markets in Amsterdam: There are many sorts of markets in Amsterdam. There are some for food and general goods, whereas some other are for specialized items like biological food and antiques. All the prominent markets in Amsterdam are located around the walking distance from the centre of the city. The first place to go for marketing in Amsterdam at its center is: Nieuwedijk-Kalverstraat that is about a one Km long pedestrian stretch full of shops. This stretch of road there remains filled with a good number of shoppers primarily consisting of tourists, student, scholars, excursionists and locals. The Nieuwedijk is in vicinity to Central Station sells good and commodities like clothing, sportswear, music and gift shops with that special Amsterdam vibe. The street straight goes to Dam Square where you can get the Royal Palace, the Nieuwe Kerk and Madame Tussaud’s.
- Art Galleries: For art lovers there are good number of modern and experimental art centers in North of Europe and some best of the best art galleries there are at Amsterdam. Amsterdam art galleries showcases artists from all over the world and thus there focuses upon abstract and experimental art as well as photography. In the museum one can see the realistic paintings from New Dutch Realism movement, as well as realistic paintings from Italy, Spain, UK and the US.
- Shopping streets in Amsterdam: The entire city of Amsterdam is divided into different quarters and each of quarter has a special character and public. Shopping streets in Amsterdam do also vary, depending on their situation along malls and shops as located in the city.
- Bookshops: Amsterdam is also famous among book lovers who have the unique book collection at there store from entire world. Most of the bookstores in Amsterdam are located around in closeness to Spuiplein and other book stores are situated on the Leliegracht. The biggest bookshop in Amsterdam is Scheltema which has four big floors full of books and there you will get most of the book in English language.
- Department stores and Malls: With respect to departmental stores and shopping Malls as located in Amsterdam they provide an excellent opportunity to procure good and commodities as imported Asia, Latin America and Africa. The best of the malls there is De Bijenkorf that is located at Dam square. The popular shopping malls in Amsterdam are Magna Plaza on the Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal or the Kalvertoren.